Apr 232015

File Photo

The Harps footballers claimed their third win of the campaign as a strong first half showing paved the way for a comfortable win over Mountmellick. Played in Durrow on a warm evening, The Harps got off to a bright start when midfielder Pat Walsh pointed from play following a strong run through the Mountmellick defence. With The Harps dominating all over the field and stringing some lovely passes together they were rewarded when the lively James Campion hit 1-01 from play followed by a fine point from Shane Donoghue all in the space of two minutes. Tight marking in our own half was forcing Mountmellick to shoot from distance and under pressure which resulted in some bad wides. At the other end, The Harps tried to kill off the game but a combination of poor wides and going for goals when points were there for the taking meant we had to wait until the 22nd minute for our next score towering midfielder Pat Walsh blasted to the net. Mountmellick would register their only score of the first half, a pointed free, in the 25th minute. Young corner forward Shane Keown replied with a good point from a tight angle before James Campion all but ended the game as a contest when he coolly finished to the net after rounding the Mountmellick keeper to leave the half time score as The Harps 3-04, Mountmellick 0-01.

To their credit, the opposition never threw in the towel and battled gamely for the second 30 minutes. Indeed scores were traded point for point for the first 20 minutes of the second half as Mountmellick refused to yield. Poor wides and decision making meant The Harps would only score 0-04 in the second half with Campion (0-02,1f) and the Brophy brothers Niall and Shane also hitting good points. It was The Harps defence who produced the goods in this half as Mountmellick were denied the goals they so badly needed to get back into the game. Mountmellick were rewarded with two points on the trot late in the second half before their efforts for a goal finally bore fruit. On the stroke of full time corner back Steven Thomas pulled off a brilliant goal line clearance, but the ball broke to a Mountmellick player who made no mistake from close range. This was to be the last score of a sporting encounter, leaving a score line of The Harps 3-08, Mountmellick 1-06.

This was another good outing from our footballers which leaves them top of the table with three wins from three and a very healthy score difference. A huge challenge awaits The Harps in their next game on Tuesday 28th April at 7pm however as they face second place Graiguecullen who are putting up some huge scores. All support would be greatly appreciated!

The Harps: GK: Kevin Donoghue; RFB: Stephen Thomas; FB: James Shortall; LFB: John Dunne; RHB: Shane Brophy; CB: Seamus Clancy; LHB: Diarmuid Irwin; MF: Niall Brophy; MF: Pat Walsh; RHF: Mark White; CF: Ger Alley; LHF: Shane Donoghue; RFF: James Campion; FF: Paul Shortall; LFF: Shane Keown.

Subs: Michael Dooley for Shane Keown at half time.

Scores: James Campion 2-03 (0-01f); Pat Walshe 1-01; Shane Donaghue, Niall Brophy and Shane Brophy 0-01 each.

Reporting by: Harps PRO.