Apr 232014

Harps-Football-ChatThe Harps traveled to Acragar Park, Mountmellick on Wednesday evening to play their third round game in Division 4. Despite the sunshine, it was a cool breezy evening. The homes side won the toss and opted to play with the wind, a sign of the evening to come where the Harps has no luck at all.

Mountmellick hit the ground running and used the wind to it’s full advantage scoring three unanswered points in the opening five minutes. Worse was to come moments later when Mountmellick maximized on some confusion in the defence to score a goal to put the home side firmly in the driving seat. While some teams would throw in the towl after being hit so hard in the opening few minutes, the Harps lads upped their work rate and began to play some fine football dominating play for the vast majority of the time remaining in that opening half. While the visitors did play some great football, they had no luck whatsoever in the scoring stakes.

Darren Maher was very unlucky not to raise the green flag moments after Mountmellick’s, his effort hit the post and rattled the side-netting. A stern breeze hindered further attempts at scoring with the ball curling just wide several times before James Campion finally hit the target in the 20th minute to raise a white flag. His score spurred on John Finnegan and Darren Maher to score two rapid fire points from play in the following three minutes, with their scores split by a missed goal chance from Paul Shortall which required several Mountmellick defenders to scramble a clearance from the goal-mouth.

With half time approaching, Mountmellick were given a boost when a goal opportunity was well capitalised on to put six between the sides at the short-whistle; The Harps 0-03 v 2-03 Mountmellick. The second half got underway with Mountmellick reasserting their control on proceedings, but could not score in the opening five minutes. With the wind dying down, Mountmellick were able to find the target easier and floated over three quick points in succession. James Campion opened the Harps second half account with a pile-driver from forty yards after ten minutes.

Mountmellick then began to turn the screw on the Harps with four further points, three of which were from play while The Harps drove wide after wide up the other end of the field. Lee Campion scored the final score for the Harps in the 27th minute of the second half, but Mountmellick scored two further points from play before the full time whistle to leave the score at 0-05 to 2-12.

Managements Thoughts: Speaking to theharpsgaa.com after the match a member of the management team said that despite the disappointment in the result, they took encouragement from some of the play, particularly in the opening half when the Harps were on top for long stretches. Alot of unlucky misses cost the Harps.

The Harps: 1 – Shane Donoghue; 2 – Stephen Thomas; 3 – James Shortall; 4 – Alan O Connell (David Doheny on 48th minute); 5 – John Finnegan; 6 – Tommy Moore; 7 – Shane Brophy; 8 – Pat Walsh; 9 – Niall Brophy; 10 – James Campion; 11 – Albert Townsend; 12 – Lee Campion (Shane Walsh on 57th minute); 13 – Darren Maher (Donncha Quinn on 47th minute); 14 – Paul Shortall; 15 – Bernard Geraghty.