Apr 302014

HarpsIHvCamrossThe Harps Intermediate Hurlers took on Camross tonight in this third round game of Division 2. Although it remained dry throughout the game a heavy drizzle shower before the game made conditions somewhat slippery for the teams coupled with a persistent breeze. Camross got the wind advantage in the first half and built up a strong lead in the opening five minutes with two pointed frees followed up by a point from play. The next five minutes would prove to be even more fruitful for the mountain men bagging a good goal and two further points from play as the Harps struggled to settle and get into the game; 1-05 to 0-00.

Greg Aylward was the first to score for the home side when he fired over a free against the wind from under the west bank in the 11th minute, his first of many for the night such was his accuracy. Some indiscipline in the Camross defence when their corner-back was yellow-carded allowed Greg to fire over two further points from placed balls. But Camross replied well and fired over three points of their own from play before the 20th minute.

The final ten minutes in the first half saw the Harps play some good hurling and set up two lovely points from play from the sticks of Ross Young and Shane Fitzpatrick. Tadgh Sullivan was most unlucky when his attempt at a point clipped the top of the upright and went back into play. The resulting clearance allowed Camross to grab a late score of their own from play just on the stroke of half time.  Half time score: The Harps 0-05 V 1-09 Camross.

The second half opened with a substitution for the Harps that saw Shane Fitzpatrick being replaced by Kieran Freeman. Camross stretched their lead with two points from play inside the opening ten minutes which was a nip-and-tuck affair. The Harps were thrown a life-line when Greg Aylward cut through and smashed the ball to the back of the Camross net to reduce the lead to six points. Camross replied quickly and popped over a point from play. The intensity of the game rose and Greg Aylward scored two points in a row – one from play and another from a placed ball. Ross Young followed up with a good point of his own. At this stage, Rory Doyle was substituted for Eoin O Sullivan.

With just four points between the team disaster struck for the home-side when Camross powered through for their second goal. It proved a bridge too far for the Harps despite outscoring the visitors in the final ten minutes. Greg Aylward pointed two frees either side of a Camross point from play. Tadgh Sullivan grabbed the final score of the night when his point from play raised a white flag. On the stroke of full time The Harps were awarded a penalty and Greg Aylwards rasper took a very slight deflection and slapped the crossbar and with the resulting clearance the referee sounded the long whistle. Full time score: The Harps 1-11 V 2-13 Camross.

The Harps: 1 – Peter Walsh; 2 – Sean Cahill; 3 – John Dunne; 4 – Aaron Dunne; 5 – Richie Saunders; 6 – Tommy Moore; 7 – Conor Brophy; 8 – Shane Fitzpatrick; 9 – Ross Young; 10 – Greg Aylward; 11 – Niall Brophy; 12 – Conor Deegan; 13 – Pat Walsh; 14 – Tadgh Sullivan; 15 – Rory Doyle. Subs Used: Kieran Freeman on for Shane Fitzpatrick (30) and Eoin O Sullivan for Rory Doyle (47).