Apr 192015

HarpsJH-v-Abbeyleix-ACHL4-2015On Sunday, April 19th The Harps Junior Hurlers welcomed Abbeyleix to Durrow for this second round tie of the Division 4 league. A fine sunny morning was plagued by a stern cool breeze across the pitch which benefited neither team. Abbeyleix opened the scoring with a pointed free which was quickly responded to by The Harps’ Conor Deegan. Abbeyleix went on to score the following three points from play before Brian Farrell grabbed a well taken point back for the home-side. Abbeyleix were settling better in the game with their young players looking lively and grabbed another point from play.

Conor Deegan floated over a long range free for the Harps to close the gap to two points, but this would be as close as The Harps would get to the visitors in this contest. The remaining fifteen minutes of the first half was all one-way traffic as Abbeyleix drove over five points from play and a ’65 with a solitary point from the Harps in that period coming from a free by Danny Delahunty. Half Time: The Harps 0-04 V 0-11 Abbeyleix.

The second half started off in similar fashion with Abbeyleix piling on the pressure. Niall Donaghue was introduced at half time for Niall Mullins and some positional changes were made to try and stem the Abbeyleix tide. Abbeyleix though weren’t reading that script and drove over six points from play and a free – all unanswered. Justin Brophy was moved back out onto the half forward line and instantly had an effect when he placed Denis Lennon for three in a row points from play.

Abbeyleix responded with a point of their own, but The Harps were alive and kicking and two rapid fire goals from Denis Lennon and Rory Doyle on the 48th and 49th minute gave the home-side some hope as the margin was now down to six points – The Harps 2-07 v 0-19 Abbeyleix. The last ten minutes of the game saw the Harps go in search of further green flags, and even though they hit the net the effort was ruled out by the umpire and the referee.

This decision seemed to give Abbeyleix renewed resolve and they finished out the game with three further points and seal the win for the visitors. Full back Tom Dillon picked up a nasty injury just before the full time whistle and was replaced by Niall Mullins for the dying seconds of the game. The full time score read: The Harps 2-07 V 0-22 Abbeyleix. This second loss for the Junior Hurlers sees them rooted to the bottom of Division 4 and will need a win against Colt to kick-start their league campaign. The game against Colt will be in Raheen on Saturday 2nd May at 7pm.

The Harps:  GK: Liam Dunphy; RFB: William Dillon; FB: Tom Dillon; LFB: Jack Saunders; RHB: Padraig Spencer; CB: Danny Delahunty; LHB: Donnacha Quinn; MF: Eoin O Sullivan; MF: Brian Farrell; RHF: Conor Deegan; CF: Johnny Doyle; LHF: Rory Doyle; RFF: Justin Brophy; FF: Niall Mullins; LFF: Denis Lennon.

Scorers: Denis Lennon 1-03; Rory Doyle 1-00; Conor Deegan 0-02 (0-01f); Brian Farrell 0-01 and Danny Delahunty 0-01f.

Subs Used: Niall Donaghue on for Niall Mullins (30min); Niall Mullins on for Tom Dillon (59min).